- Safiu Kehinde
Sequel to last week’s gruesome killing of 16 Northern travellers at the Uromi community, Edo state, heavy security presence has been reported at the community as fear of reprisal attacks lingers with arrest of suspected perpetrators of the heinous crime ongoing.
Police, military and plainclothes security agents have, on Wednesday, taken over strategic junctions in Uromi, headquarters of Esan North East Local Government Area.
Coupled with the heavy deployment of police officers was the presence of military vehicles seen patrolling key locations, including highways and suspected hotspots.
The killing of the travellers who were claimed to be Hausa hunters had stirred bad blood and mixed reactions across the country.
While Edo State Governor, Monday Okpebholo, had since the incident made frantic effort in initiating peaceful resolution, the Federal Government has also taken over the case.
As confirmed by Edo State Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO), Moses Yamu, the case is currently being handled by the Force Criminal Investigation Department (FCID) which explained the heavy presence of security agencies across Uromi.
“The Force Headquarters has taken over the investigation, so it is no longer in our hands. I cannot, therefore, say how far the investigation has gone. But our men are still on the ground to ensure that there is no breakdown of law and order,” Yamu told newsmen.
While commiserating with the families of the victims during his visit to Kano on Tuesday, Okpebholo confirmed that 14 suspects have been arrested in connection to the killing.
“About 14 suspects have been arrested already; we will pursue the case until its logical conclusion.” The governor had said.