- Safiu Kehinde
The Oyo State Police Command has made clarifications on the raid carried by its personnel at Oke-Ogun Polytechnic students’ hostel.
NPO earlier Reported the circulation of viral video capturing moment a police squad stormed the hostel, assaulting and arresting some of male students.
The officers were alleged to have broken into several rooms as the video showed damaged windows and broken ceiling noticed after the Monday raid.
Reacting to the video in a statement issued on Wednesday by its spokesperson, DSP Ayanlade Olayinka, the Oyo Police Command maintained that that the officers acted professionally, lawfully, and within established operational guidelines.
Ayanlade disclosed that the officers had acted based on a cult-related murder incident reported on the campus last month.
“The team of operatives seen in the video has been duly identified, and a prompt internal review was conducted.
“Findings and deductions drawn from the video footage, corroborated by credible eyewitness accounts, clearly establish that the officers acted professionally, lawfully, and within established operational guidelines.
“On 07/01/2026, one ADEBIYI RIDWAN ‘M’, identified as a member of the Eiye Confraternity, was shot dead within the premises of The Oke-Ogun Polytechnic during a violent cult clash between members of the Eiye and Alora Confraternities.
“In the immediate aftermath, one OLATUNJI DAVID, also identified as a member of the Eiye Confraternity, was arrested after conveying the corpse to the hospital and was subsequently transferred to the Command’s Anti-Cultism Unit for further investigation.
“During interrogation, the suspect earlier arrested in connection with the murder case provided actionable intelligence which led operatives to certain hostels within the school environment.” The statement partly read.
While noting that the raid was carried out in collaboration with the institution’s Chief Security Officer (CSO) and consent of the school authority, Ayanlade disclosed that the school authority had earlier submitted a formal petition to the Commissioner of Police.
Accordingl to the police spokesman, the school authority had invited the Command’s Anti-Cultism Squad to intervene and prevent impending cult-related clashes, retaliation, and counter-retaliation on campus.
“The operation was therefore intelligence-driven, preventive, and undertaken at the instance of the institution’s management in order to avert further bloodshed.
“During the visit to the identified hostels, the CSO personally requested students to open their doors, which they did peacefully.” Ayanalade said, as against claim of the police forcing their way into the hostel.
The Oyo Police further clarified that no property was damaged during the raid, adding that some of the suspects have been released while those confirmed to be cultists after screening have been detained.
“No property was damaged by Police personnel during the exercise. Following screening, SEKONI OLUWAFEMI (Aiye Confraternity), OLALEYE AZEEZ and FAWAZ OLADIMEJI (Alora Confraternity) were arrested and subsequently charged to court, while those found not culpable were released.” The statement read further.
On the allegation concerning a broken ceiling, investigation revealed that one FAROUK KAREEM was responsible for breaking the ceiling of his room to access another female student’s room in her absence.
“A video recording exists to substantiate this. The damage was not caused by Police operatives.” The Oyo Police said as it condemned the spread of false narratives about the raid.
“The Command will not treat lightly the deliberate distortion of facts, false narratives, misinformation, and disinformation calculated to mislead the public and undermine lawful Police operations.
“Spreading unverified and misleading content capable of creating distrust and mistrust between citizens and law enforcement is irresponsible and unacceptable.
“While the Command appreciates and encourages citizens whose rights may have been violated to speak out and approach the appropriate authority for redress, such engagements must be grounded in facts and evidence.
“Constructive reporting strengthens accountability; falsehood weakens public trust and compromises collective security.
“Citizens are therefore strongly advised to desist from circulating false or misleading information capable of inflaming tensions or eroding confidence in lawful institutions.
“Anyone who still believes that operatives of the Anti-Cultism Unit acted disproportionately or arbitrarily is urged to come forward with verifiable facts for proper review.” The statement read further.
