Buni’s Men Take Over APC Secretariat Again; Say Bello’s Action Only in Acting Capacity
Loyalists of the Chairman of the Caretaker/Extraordinary Convention Planning Committee (CECPC) of the All Progressives Congress, Governor Mai Mala Buni on Tuesday took over the secretariat of the party in Abuja.
It was gathered that the action was preparatory to the return to Buni from his medical trip.
A press statement released on Tuesday by the Secretary of the CECPC, Senator John Akpanudoedehe, said that all actions taken in the absence of Buni by the Governor of Niger State, Sani Bello, were taken in acting capacity.
Saying Buni remains the party’s acting chairman, the Secretary said the committee remains intact and functional.
The statement Reads in Full Below:
The CECPC therefore informs the Press and the General Public as follows:
1. That the CECPC was appointed, and has always done her best, to steer the affairs of the APC in line with the mandate invested in her at inauguration by the National Executive Council (NEC) of the All Progressives Congress.
2. That on the 28th day of February, 2022 the CECPC Chairman took a long-delayed trip abroad on health grounds, leaving behind written authorisation for other members of the CECPC to continue work in his absence, particularly the day to day management of the APC.
3. That in his absence, sundry activities earlier scheduled for action appeared to develop fresh urgency in order to satisfy the Timetable for the 2023 General Elections released by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), thus galvanizing some within the CECPC to act in their best understanding of both the situation and the leadership dynamics in the Committee/Party.
4. That all such actions were clearly identified at all times as happening in an acting or proxy capacity, and under the auspices of the substantive Chairman, His Excellency, Governor Mai Mala Buni, contrary to widespread speculations that the Chairman, Secretary or some other officials of the CECPC have been removed from Office or otherwise replaced.
5. That the CECPC is intact and functional as originally constituted.
6. That delivering a seamlessly successful National Convention for the APC on March 26, 2022 is top on priority for the CECPC and we shall continue to execute such assignments as are legal pending the return of the Chairman who is on his way back to the country and shall resume Office on arrival with the full support of all members and other stakeholders.
We are grateful to INEC for her firm guidance in the entire circumstances.
Meanwhile, the party has engaged a team of senior lawyers to address a purported court order halting the planned APC National Convention. We hereby call on the Judiciary to give the matter the needed and expedient attention in our bid to vacate the purported Court order and allow for the conduct of a transparent and rancour-free National Convention deserving of our great party, APC.
The Caretaker/Extraordinary Convention Planning Committee (CECPC) hereby restates absolute loyalty to the APC, thanks the National Organs and leadership of our Party led by His Excellency, President Muhammadu Buhari, GCFR and reassures our members and citizens that the Party is stronger than ever before and poised to extend her winning streak since 2015 into 2023 and beyond.
Ladies and gentlemen of the 4th Estate of the Realm, we thank you.
Sen. John James Akpanudoedehe Ph.D
APC Caretaker/Extraordinary Convention Planning Committee
15th March, 2022