A former Minister of Youths and sports Bolaji Abdulahi has signified his interest to contest the next senatorial election in kwara State.
In a notification of interest, on Monday, Abdulah, also a former National Publicity Secretary of the All Progressive Congress said if elected he would bring on board, his experience as a journalist, civil activist and public servant.
February 21, 2022.
Notification of Intention to Contest for Senate.
1. Our dear country Nigeria is at the moment faced with numerous challenges, some of them unprecedented in nature and in scale. Indeed, we can only point at few other moments in our history, if any, that are as terrifying, as perplexing and as uncertain as now; when for majority of the people, surviving one day onto another day feels like major achievement.
2. Today, insecurity has its iron knees firmly planted on the throat of our nation. Banditry and sundry criminal acts beleaguer our country at a scale never witnessed before; and Nigerians are losing their lives in hundreds across our country every single day.
3. National domestic and foreign debts are at a record high and the economy is in crisis. All indices of human development show that Nigeria has not only stagnated in the last couple of years, we have indeed regressed. Nigeria ranks 157 out of 189 countries in the 2018 Human Development Index with 87 million Nigerians living in extreme poverty, unable to feed themselves and their families or access basic medical care.
4. It is projected that by the year 2050, a mere 28 years from now, Nigeria’s population will increase to more than 400 million people, making us the third most populated country in the world, behind China and India, but without the economy or the social infrastructure of these two countries. And, quite significantly, 64 per cent of that massive population will still be under 25.
5. The quality and structure of our demography portends great danger now and in the future. Our failure to create opportunities for our army of young population makes them a potentially destabilising force. With youth unemployment at 53.4 per cent and an estimated 10.5 million children out of school, it is clear that we are only sitting on a time bomb.
6. Therefore, it is in the enlightened self-interest of all political elites to make these issues the singular purpose of our politics. How do we restore peace to our country and make our Nigeria safe again for everyone? How do we create an education system that truly prepares our children and our youths for the 21st century? How do we create an economy that gives opportunities to everyone and create jobs for our youth? How do we make Nigerians to believe in Nigeria again?
7. These critical questions require that the next set of Nigeria’s political leadership possess a clear vision, the political sagacity, the mental strength, as well as the emotional intelligence to build a strong coalition around these issues and lead the country out of this truly existential crisis. More than ever before, we need to move away from the politics of big men to the politics of big ideas.
8. No matter what may have happened in the past, 2023 provides us yet another opportunity to hit the reset button and rededicate ourselves to the great task of nation building. We cannot afford to get it wrong. The task at hand is serious and it is urgent. We can therefore no longer afford the luxury of incompetence, empty showmanship, ruinous partisanship, or suicidal indifference. This is the time for every citizen who has something to contribute to come forward. Our country desperately calls out to us.
9. It is in the light of this therefore, that I have decided to offer myself for service. And it is with great honour that I hereby humbly notify you of my intention to contest for the Senate of the Federal Republic of Nigeria as Senator representing Kwara Central Senatorial District in the 2023 general elections under the banner of our great party, the PDP.
10. In almost two decades of public service, both at the state and the national levels, I have demonstrated a great sense of responsibility; I have demonstrated courage and competence. And I have demonstrated loyalty and integrity. These are the qualifications of leadership that our country needs at this critical time.
11. By the grace of Almighty Allah and with your support, when I am elected Senator, I would be bringing to the legislative chamber of our country, a wide range of experience as a journalist, a civil society activist, a development specialist, a public servant and a party man. I will leverage on my extensive network of relationships across this country built over years of working with other committed citizens in different policy spaces. And I will deploy all the talents and capacity that it has pleased Allah to bless me to work with other patriots to create a better Nigeria for us all and a great country for the coming generation.
12. I ask for your support. I will not let you down. I am Omoluabi. I have made you proud before. In sha Allah, I will make you proud again.