The Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC) has denied allegations that it restricted access to former Kaduna State governor, Nasir El-Rufai, describing the claims as false and misleading.
Speaking to journalists in Abuja on Monday, ICPC spokesperson and Deputy Director of Media and Public Communications, John Odey, said the allegations made by El-Rufai’s wife were inaccurate.
NPO Reports recalls that his son, Bello El-Rufai, had also2 accused the ICPC of denying his father medical access and family care.
According to Odey, El-Rufai’s wife arrived at the commission’s premises about 30 minutes after the official visiting hours had ended.
He explained that the ICPC operates a standard Access Control Protocol that regulates entry into its facilities. The protocol, he said, allows visitors access between 9:00 a.m. and 6:30 p.m.
Odey noted that the policy had been in place long before the current ICPC chairman assumed office and applied equally to all suspects and defendants in custody.
He said the commission decided to address the issue to correct what it described as misleading narratives that had circulated since Friday.
The controversy followed a video interview aired on several media platforms around 10:00 p.m. on Friday. In the interview, a woman identified as El-Rufai’s wife alleged that ICPC operatives denied her access to deliver food to her husband at about 7:00 p.m.
She also claimed that the commission violated a court order granting family access and prevented her husband from receiving food while in custody.
However, Odey said records showed that El-Rufai’s wife and a housemaid were allowed to deliver food to him at least three times between 10:30 a.m. and 5:30 p.m. on the same day.
He added that the visits were documented in the commission’s visitor register and could be independently verified.
According to the ICPC spokesperson, the woman herself admitted during the interview that she had earlier delivered breakfast and lunch to her husband, which contradicted claims that he was denied food.
Odey further explained that while family members, legal representatives, and medical personnel were allowed access to detainees, no entry was permitted after 6:30 p.m. for security reasons.
He said El-Rufai’s wife also acknowledged in the video that she arrived at 7:00 p.m., after the official visiting hours had closed.
The spokesperson added that she had previously exceeded the approved visiting duration on other occasions.
Odey stressed that because El-Rufai is a high-profile political figure who has served as a minister and governor, the commission had a responsibility to maintain strict security measures for his safety and that of others in custody.
Addressing claims that medical personnel were denied access, Odey said the commission only requested proper identification and confirmation from El-Rufai before allowing supervised visits, in line with standard procedures.
He also disclosed that El-Rufai had recently been permitted to visit his dentist and eye doctor on two separate occasions under the supervision of ICPC officials.
The commission expressed concern that the disputed visit involved media personnel and took place outside the approved visiting period.
Odey stated that the ICPC would not allow what it described as dramatised narratives to undermine lawful institutional procedures or compromise security protocols.
He reaffirmed that the commission, under the leadership of Dr. Musa Aliyu (SAN), remained committed to the rule of law, the protection of human dignity, and equal treatment for all individuals regardless of status or affiliation.
