Former Labour Party presidential candidate, Peter Obi has responded to speculation about former President Goodluck Jonathan’s possible entry into the 2027 presidential race.
Obi made the remarks on Tuesday while speaking to journalists after appearing before the party’s screening committee in Abuja.
The committee was chaired by former Governor of Ebonyi State, Sam Egwu.
“Democracy is about service. I am not focused on who is contesting. I am focused on building a better Nigeria,” he said.
Obi said his political priorities include building a united, secure, and prosperous Nigeria through inclusive governance and stronger institutional reforms.
He stressed the need to improve national security, stating that citizens should be able to move freely without fear.
He also called for urgent action to address poverty, hunger, and corruption, insisting that public resources must benefit all Nigerians, not a privileged few.
Speaking on the screening exercise conducted by the Nigeria Democratic Congress (NDC), Obi described it as “democracy in action.”
“This is democracy in action because the NDC chooses to do things properly. When we say screening, it has to be done right,” he said.
According to him, the exercise reflected the party’s commitment to accountability, noting that proper screening is essential for credible political participation.
He highlighted that the process ensures that all aspirants meet constitutional requirements and can defend their vision for national development.
He added that the process allows parties and citizens to verify the authenticity of claims made by political aspirants.
“Nigerians want to know whether you meet the stipulated constitutional qualifications and can provide relevant documents to support them,” Obi stated.
Obi explained that the screening exercise lasted more than two hours, describing it as thorough and necessary for accountability in politics.
He said the process also tested candidates’ ability to respond to questions on governance, unity, security, and economic development.
The former governor of Anambra State dismissed reports suggesting he had been adopted as the NDC’s consensus presidential candidate ahead of the 2027 general elections.
He clarified that the party’s nomination process remains open and competitive.
“How can it be based on consensus? The party opened expression of interest forms. I bought the form. As it stands, I am the only one who has expressed interest,” he said.
