- Safiu Kehinde
The Department of State Services (DSS) has opened up over its alleged arrest and detention of United States-based Nigerian writer and columnist, Prof. Okey Ndibe.
NPO Reported that Okey was detained by DSS (SSS) operatives at the Murtala Muhammed International Airport in Lagos upon his arrival from the United States.
He was reportedly later released after the agency stated that the officer handling his case file had travelled out of the country.
Reacting to the claim in a statement issued on Tuesday by its Deputy Director, Public Relations and Strategic Communications, Favour Dozie, the DSS denied arresting or detaining the writer.
The agency held that Okey was only approached by its operatives on account of the Watch-List Actions (WLAs) on which he was placed.
DSS maintained that the old WLAs, some which dated back to the military era, have been undergoing review with aim of downgrading the Action and clearing some of those on the list.
“The current DG of the Service, upon assumption of duty, directed a review of old Watch-List Actions (WLAs), some of which date back to the Military Era.
“This is to ensure that citizens are not unduly embarrassed due to pre-existing WLAs.
“In this regard, all those who had previously been watchlisted while on transit, are routinely interfaced with as a prerequisite for a review and possible downgrade of the Action.
“This, being a precursor to a final delisting in accordance with international best practices.
“It is pertinent to state that the foregoing process is aimed at ensuring that before the final delisting, that activities, travel histories as well as current activities of these individuals are not in furtherance of and do not still conform with the reasons for the initial WLA.” The statement partly read.
While noting that several Nigerians, including journalists, who have been placed on the watchlist had benefitted from the ongoing review and clearance, the DSS held that same gesture was extended to Okey who had been on the list since 2013.
“Suffice to point out that since the inception of the current Management, many Nigerians, including journalists have benefited from this process.
“This is despite the fact that the Service conducts this clearance to take care of Watch List requests from other Agencies.
“A case in point is that of Mr Lanre Arogundade, Executive Director of the International Press Centre, IPC, whose delisting was approved in May 2025, after over a decade on the Watchlist.
“In the same vein, Prof Ndibe has been on Watchlist since January 29, 2013.
“Meanwhile, his case has been reviewed and downgraded. Thus, the interface with him at the airport, was geared towards the final delisting of his details from the Action.” The DSS wrote further.
The agency said the writer was cleared and escorted after their engagement which lasted barely an hour.
It noted that Okey even lauded the DSS operatives for their professionalism and decorous conduct after the engagement.
“As part of the routine interface involved in the process, after barely an hour of his interaction with the Service, he was cleared and escorted.
“Note that, even on his Facebook post, he referenced the professional, courteous and decorous conduct of Service operatives, who continue to scale their respect for the rule of law and human rights under the new Leadership.
“The Service reiterates that this process will continue to ensure that all Nigerians are fairly treated, with due regard to the provisions of the Law.” It said.
The DSS urged citizens affected by the Service WLA, who wish, to formally report same to the National Headquarters to facilitate ongoing process.
It however maintained that regardless of any formal request, the attempt at hygiene regarding the WLA will be sustained.
