The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission has unfrozen the Osun State Government’s accounts following President Bola Tinubu’s directive to lift the restriction placed on them.
The accounts, domiciled with First Bank of Nigeria and Zenith Bank, were confirmed to be fully operational on Friday.
NPO Report recalls that the EFCC had on August 5 placed a Post No Debit order on the accounts, stating that there was an ongoing investigation into the alleged diversion of about N11 billion in Ecology Funds, Intervention Funds and allocations from the Federation Account Allocation Committee.
The commission said the investigation, which began in March 2026, was to examine the fraudulent handling of the funds.
Tinubu subsequently described the EFCC’s action as embarrassing and directed the commission to unfreeze the accounts.
Following his declaration as the winner of the election, Adeleke directed the state Attorney General and Commissioner for Justice, Oluwole Jimi-Bada, SAN, to withdraw the suit filed against the EFCC over the account restriction.
A Senior Special Assistant to the President on Media and Publicity, Temitope Ajayi, confirmed the development to Punch Newspaper on Friday that the restriction had been lifted.
Ajayi said the EFCC could not disregard the President’s directive.
“The lien has been lifted. EFCC cannot ignore the presidential order. I can confirm to you that it was done immediately,” he said.
He added that the absence of further complaints from the Osun State Government indicated that the accounts had been restored.
An aide to Adeleke, who spoke on condition of anonymity, also confirmed that the Post No Debit order had been vacated.
“The accounts are now functional. That was why Mr Governor directed the Attorney-General to withdraw the suit against EFCC,” the aide said.
